If you are a regular shooter, then the chances are that you often find that your red dot sight is blurry. In most cases, when some shooters experience this, they claim they can’t shoot with a red dot sight.
However, this shouldn’t be the case as anyone can shoot with a red dot sight. The question is can you be able to fix the problem?
If yes, why does it happen in the first place? In this article, we shall show you why your red dot sight looks blurry and how you can fix it.
Why My Red Dot Sight is Blurry?
In most cases, you see the image perfectly round; however, you will experience mild astigmatism. Astigmatism, in simple terms, means your eye is irregularly shaped.
When you have this condition, it will prevent any light from fully entering the eye to meet a single focus point behind and at the retina. Astigmatism affects many shooters at some point, and this affects how you see and shoot your targets.
Our eyeball is normally a shape of a sphere, and when the light comes into contact with it, it will bend at an even angle to allow us to focus on a given object.
However, if you have astigmatism, the eyeball will be irregularly shaped. Once light enters, only a part of the object will be in focus. If the object is a red dot sight, it will look blurry.
Some trainers at the shooting range will not tell anything about astigmatism. Out of 10, only 1 may be able to talk about, and that is only because they may have one.
Most shooters buy red dot sights not knowing they have astigmatism, and when they start using it, they think it’s the sight that is defective.
How to Tell If You Have Astigmatism or if it is The Red Dot Sight Blurry That is Defective?
You can do a few things to know if it is the red dot sight that is defective or if you have astigmatism.
- Use your smartphone to take a picture of your optics through the red dot sight. The phone camera doesn’t have astigmatism, so you will get the right image. In case the picture shows a distorted dot, then the red dot is defective. However, if the picture shows a round and crisp image, you have astigmatism, and you will have to check with your doctor.
- You can also use your friends to test the sight for you. Use as many as you can because some may have astigmatism as well without knowing it.
- Try using a rear iron sight together with the red dot sight. If the dot is still fuzzy, then you may have astigmatism.
How to Fix a Fuzzy Red Dot Sight?
When you find that your red dot sight is fuzzy and the problem is you and not the red dot sight, then there are ways you can solve this problem.
Before we get into that, you must know that astigmatism distortion only happens when using a red dot sight.
This is because red dot sights utilize a lens to reflect the red dot from an LED directly to your eye. This kind of reflection of light doesn’t go well with anyone with astigmatism.
Red Dot Sight with Astigmatism
Now that we have cleared why the fuzzy problem, here is how you can use a red dot sight and astigmatism.
- Always keep the light of the red dot low. Make sure that it is not on the maximum brightness setting. In case you leave the dot at the maximum brightness, especially when you are in the wrong conditions, such as indoors or in dim light, the dot will seem to starburst. When the light is turned out, you will see around, crisp dot.
- Try using polarized glasses as they help to depend on your red dot sight astigmatism condition. Although astigmatism varies from one person to another, using such glasses may become fruitful since these glasses scatter light rays before they enter your eye.
- Try buying a red dot sight with green illumination. This will help to mitigate that fuzzy effect that is caused by astigmatism.
- The most important thing you can do if everything else fails is to get treatment. You may end up with glasses that will reduce the effect of red dot sight for astigmatism. You may also get surgery which may help you in the long run.
- Another thing you can do is to buy red dot sights that have got an alternative for astigmatism. It is advisable to look for a high-quality red dot sight that will serve you well even when you have an astigmatism condition.
- Another thing you can do is to just go on with it. When shooting, try to focus on the target ahead and not the blurry dot. With more practice, you will get used to it in the long run.
Try the red dot sight before you make an actual purchase. You can try from a dealer or use those of a friend. That way, you will be able to find a solution first before you buy.
As we wrap up this article, you should know that astigmatism is not the end of your shooting days with a red dot sight. You should also know that it is a common problem that many shooters face.
The most important thing is to know why it happens and how you can fix it. Although you may not be able to completely do away with it, you can still find a solution to it.
Some of the solutions we have mentioned above may or may not be effective, but we guarantee at least one will work for you.
If your red dot sight is blurry, it shouldn’t stop you from shooting, and all you have to do is follow our tips to enjoy the hunting grounds with your friends.